Local baseball products drafted by MLB teamsBy J.C. CARNAHAN | June 11th, 2010 | Category: – RECENT POSTS, Baseball, Bishop Moore, Boone, Cypress Creek, Edgewater, FCSL, Featured Orlando Athletes, Freedom, Lake Brantley, Local Alumni, Local Highlights, Osceola, Oviedo, Rollins College, The First Academy, Timber Creek, University, West Orange, Winter Park | No Comments »
For young ballplayers who recently accepted high school diplomas, the decision is now whether to start collegiate playing careers or join minor league baseball teams. For current underclassmen who either finished up another college campaign or are still competing in the postseason, the decision is a similar one to make.
In the second day of the MLB First-Year Player Draft, local baseball players began to be selected by big league clubs. Below is a look at who they were, where they were picked, and what team made the call.
– 2010 MLB Draft Top-10 Local Picks –
– RHP A.J. Cole (Oviedo) selected No. 116 overall by Washington in 4th round.
– CF Mason Williams (West Orange) selected No. 145 overall by NY Yankees in 4th round.
– LHP Alex Burgos (Osceola/State College of Florida) selected No. 163 overall by Detroit in 5th round.
– LHP John Gast (Lake Brantley/Florida State) selected No. 199 overall by St. Louis in 6th round.
– RF Jose Dore (The First Academy) selected No. 244 overall by San Diego in 8th round.
– SS Mike Freeman (Edgewater/Clemson) selected No. 331 overall by Arizona in 11th round.
– RHP Cody Allen (Boone/UCF/St. Petersburg JC) selected No. 480 overall by Cleveland in 16th round.
– RHP Owen Dew (UCF) selected No. 630 overall by Cleveland in 21st round.
– C Shane Brown (Winter Park/UCF) selected No. 715 overall by NY Yankees in 23rd round.
– More Local MLB Draft Picks –
LF Chris Duffy (Cypress Creek/UCF) at No. 801 overall to Philadelphia (26th round); CF Jay Gonzalez (Freedom) No. 833 overall to Boston (27th round); RHP Tim Griffin (Rollins College) No. 852 overall to Seattle (28th round); LHP Ronald Schreurs (Freedom) No. 1,296 overall to Toronto (43rd round); LHP Jimmy Hodgskin (Bishop Moore) No. 1,311 overall to Philadelphia (43rd round); OF Tyler Marincov (Timber Creek) No. 1,453 overall to Detroit (48th round).
– Draft Notes –
– The UCF Knights have had nine different players selected in the MLB Draft over the last three years, including Brown, who has now been drafted twice by the Yankees. Last season he was picked in the 47th round. In all, UCF has had its baseball players drafted by MLB organizations 73 times since 1979. Dew was taken in the 33rd round in 2009 by the Los Angeles Angels. Duffy, who was selected in the 9th round out of high school, completed his four-year career as a finalist for the 2010 USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award as one of the top amateur players in the nation.
– The Florida Collegiate Summer League had the highest number of current or former baseball players drafted over the three-day MLB selection process as 25 FCSL players were taken, including five in the first eight rounds. A complete list of draftees is available at Florida League.